Consumer Advice

Our specialist dispute resolution solicitors have extensive experience resolving consumer rights disputes and can help you find the most efficient cost effective solutions to your consumer disputes; whether you’ve been sold a faulty car or are involved in a dispute with a tradesman our experts can advise you on the best course of action ensuring your rights as a consumer are upheld. Call our consumer rights experts on 0845 676 9751.

If you have entered into a contract to either buy something, or for a service to be provided, such as the installation of a driveway, you have rights both under the contract you have signed, and the law. The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 provide you with statutory rights.

These rights mean that the item you buy, or the service you have requested, must be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose. If they are not, then the seller/supplier has breached your statutory rights, and you may have a claim against them for damages. This can sometimes mean that you are entitled to your money back.

Areas of specialism

  • Double glazing and conservatories
  • Faulty vehicles, cars, bikes, caravans
  • Builders, plumbers, electricians
  • Patios and driveways
  • Self build disputes
  • House construction
  • Contaminated land & other environmental problems


Frequently Asked Questions

What if my opponents threaten me?

You should report any problems to the police and seek advice immediately. Don’t give in to any threats.

How should I pay for goods?

Where possible you should pay a deposit of at least £30 on a credit card. If you have paid by credit card or finance arranged by the seller, you may be able to pursue your lender instead of the seller.

Can I sue anyone else?

If you have paid by credit card or finance arranged by the seller, you may be able to pursue your lender instead of the seller.

Should I cancel the cheque?

The law regards a cheque as a separate contract to pay someone. It is very difficult to defend a claim for a cancelled cheque.

Can I withhold payment?

If there are genuine problems, you can withhold payment until the issues are resolved. This does depend on the terms of any contract – you should seek advice on this issue.

Can I get all my money back?

If the problems are extremely serious this is possible, but not guaranteed. You can only reject the goods if you don’t accept repairs, and stop using them very quickly. You must also tell the person who sold the goods that you are rejecting them, preferably in writing.

Quinn Legal Services Ltd, 1 Canute Road,Southampton, Hampshire SO14 3FH

Powered by FTC